Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Saying Goodbye


"Its so hard, to say good-bye"....insert 80's Boys II Men music here.

I have been dreading this day, and writing this post (therefore I am about a week late in writing it).  I am sad to say that Sadie's audiologist, Miss Erin, left the Midwest Ear Institute to move to California.  To say I was devastated when she told me the news is an understatement.  Erin is the one that helped get me through the mental, emotional and physical stress of  having a child diagnosed with hearing loss. She is am amazing person and audiologist and I am so sad to have lost her at MEI. She has taught me so much, but most of all that hearing loss is not a limitation in life.  Every child has their own set of challenges, Sadie's just happens to be her hearing. 

I had to find a little irony in the last visit we had with Miss Erin a couple of weeks ago.  The first time I met Erin she gave me bad news...Sadie had hearing loss.  At my last visit with Erin, she gave me bad news again...Sadie's hearing loss has progressed over the last two years.  Her hearing is about 10 db worse than when she was born.  The good news, though, is that Sadie is still making GREAT progress.  As for now, her hearing aids are still working for her.  If for some reason that changes, we can try stronger aids.  If that doesn't work then we might have to investigate a Cochlear Implant.  However, at this time, Sadie is doing just fine.  I pray her hearing loss doesn't get worse, but if it does, I am so grateful to have the Midwest Ear Institute.  Even though I won't have Erin there anymore, there is a team of great audiologists who will take great care of Sadie.

Erin told me before she left, and with such conviction that I have to believe her, that "No matter what happens with Sadie's hearing, she is going to do just fine."   And she couldn't me more right!

Thank you Miss Erin, for everything. We miss you!



No comments:

Post a Comment