Monday, December 15, 2014

440 - My New Favorite Number

As many might have read from previous blog posts, Sadie has gone through several pairs of hearing aids in her 4.3 years.  If you haven't seen the previous blog posts, let me refresh your memory:

1st Pair: Starkey Pedatric Aid (3 months of use)
2nd Pair: Oticon Safari (1 month of use)
3rd Pair: Widex Baby 440 (2.5 years of use)
4th Pair: Clear Fusion 440 (1 year of use)

We currently have the Clear Fusion 440's and love them, but Widex has a newer aid out called the Dream 440. In order to stay up to date with technology, we are getting the opportunity to try out these new aids.

We started out with getting new ear molds. In case anyone is interested in how this works, here is a short video (ignore my talking in the background!)

Putting the goo (not sure the technical term!) into her ear.


The final result!

The Widex Dream 440 comes in a several colors, so before we ordered the new aids, I showed Sadie all the various color choices online. She made me click through every single one (even the ones I knew she wouldn't like). After much deliberation (not really) she ended up choosing "shocking pink." SHOCKING....I know. HA!

2 weeks after getting her ear molds made Sadie got fitted for her new hearing aids. She was so excited.  At school Sadie's teacher asked if she was getting her new pink hearing aids soon, and Sadie said "No, I am getting my 'Shocking Pink' hearing aids!".

Getting new hearing aids isn't a quick and easy process.  It takes some time to actually set up and "tune" the aids to make sure they are at exactly the right volume levels for her hearing loss. Sadie's audiologist had to hook some cords up to her aids, and then a computer program did....something. I actually have no idea what it did, but it worked!

 All Hooked Up!


Above is a video of what it looks/sounds like.  Sadie is funny because she will walk around the house randomly making the beeping, trill sounds that happens during this process.  

Many people who read this blog have never really heard Sadie talk, so we decided to "interview" her about her new aids.  Her last sentence she is rushing so she slurred a bit, but it is 100% true. She says "I never stop talking!"
Overall, we couldn't be more pleased with her Widex Dream 440's.  We are in week 2 of using them, and Sadie loves them. They sound great, she hears great, and they are pretty darn cute.  I'm already excited to see what the next Widex 440 generation will be!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey. My son is about to go for his 2 hour diagnostic test to see what he can hear. The future can seem so uncertain, but it's nice to see how normal life can be and how having a hearing aid can be no big deal... Especially if it can be shocking pink. :)
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that your son might have hearing loss. But I can assure you, it will be fine if he does. Technology is amazing right now and getting them aided as soon as you can really helps. Best of luck to you and your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thank you very much for a great blog! We have a 4,5 month old daughter with moderate to severe hearing loss. It is really nice to follow Sadie at the blog - she is doing so fine, and it give us so much hope, and a good feeling about the future :) I tried to see if I could see her audiogram somewhere, to compare with our daughter. The doctors say she is on the edge to CI, and we are so worried about the surgery. :( Do you have some experince to share? Have a nice day, and again thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI there! I am glad that you enjoy my blog! I hope your daughter is doing well too. If you want to email me at sarabessinger@gmail.com, I am happy to send you a copy of Sadie's audiogram. I don't' think i can send a document in the comments section. How severe is your daughter? Seems like moderate to severe wouldn't be bad enough for a CI, but I guess it depends on her thresholds. Happy to chat via email if you want! Take care,
      Sara

      Delete
  4. Great, thanks! I sent you a mail now..

    ReplyDelete